+385 (0)20 486 254
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Kupari

Kupari

Kupari

This village, which leans against the northern slopes of the hill of Gorice, has crept into the deep horseshoe shaped bay in order to find protection from unwanted visitors and the visits of thieving pirates. It got the name “Kuparici” (tilers) from the factory in which tiles (Kupe) were produced.

The year 1200 was pressed onto the products. Twelve ovens worked for drying bricks and tiles, and the entire production was supervised by the Republic of Dubrovnik, which organised the price, transportation, and sales. Particularly after the Great quake of 1667 in Dubrovnik and its surroundings, many bricks and tiles were needed for renovation work. The clay was dug up from underneath Kupari, which created the Kupari cave that was rumoured to be a source of fever.

It was partly blocked off at the beginning of the First World War, which was when the production of “kupa” ended.

The name of Count Brnja Kaboga is associated with the brick factory, and as well as being one of its owners, he was also the first person from Dubrovnik to come to Župa in a car, which arose much curiosity in the local people.

Captain Podić, who was the captain of the first Dubrovnik Steam ship, spent his country days in Župa, and the Galjuf family who had French roots were related to Faustin Gajluf, the author of the famous poem Navis Ragusina.

Toreta castle on the plain of Kupari was only a fortress at the beginning of the 17th century, and belonged to the Radman family. They built the castle in 1656 and also a bridge over the river in order to gain access to the castle. Beside the summer residence, which was surrounded by high walls, was the Church of Assumption of the Virgin (Velike Gospe), which was built in the 18th century. The village was mentioned in 1299 by the name of Crijep, whilst today’s name was first mentioned in 1317.

On the gentle slopes of the tree covered Pelegrin stand compact stone houses with the sun in their windows, which are guarded from above by the old Church of St. Stephen (sv. Stjepan) that was first mentioned in 1279. You can approach it from two sides, from Gorica or from the main road, and there are stone crosses built on the entrance that are from between the 15th and 17th centuries. The graveyard of the brotherhood of St. Stephen (Sv. Stjepan) is beside the church, and has very old graves. Dubrovnik summer writers mention that the church was a gift from the Croatian and Dalmatian King Stephen, son of Krešimir, for getting well again.

The 16th century Church of St. Peter (sv. Petar) was built at the top of the ridge of Trapit, the most beautiful place in Župa and with a view of the entire bay. During the century, it experienced damage like no other church in Župa both from earthquakes and at the hands of evil, but it has always been renovated and is a lasting place for hope and prayer.

Kupari plaža

Kupari is the oldest tourist village in Župa and is where the first hotel was built in 1920. The people here looked after the beaches, the parks and the promenades. They built sports grounds, buildings for holidays and recreation, organised outings, which were directly intended for winter and summer tourists. Ever since the first hotel was built, each new one has been an attractive architectural building with excellent facilities, and experts have tended to the parks around the first hotels.

There used to be a village and port on the coast between Kupari and Srebrno, in the area of Goricia, which is evident from the discovered fragments of amphorae, pots, a variety of crockery and examples of money from Roman times.

Not far from Kupari is the village of Blato (Balta), which is mentioned for the first time in 1279. The name of the village has Roman roots, and is from the damp earth that turns into mud after heavy rain. The drainage channels direct the surplus water and today it is a fertile area in the plain of Župa.

Tourist board of Župa dubrovačka is available to guests as well as private owners and other interested throughout the year.

During the summer season office is open all day. The guests can use the info desk in the office, miscellaneous materials, brochures and maps.

148760
TOURISTS Number of visits in 2018.
581711
TOURISTS Number of overnight stays in 2018.
132049
TOURISTS Number of visits in 2017.
544634
TOURISTS Number of overnight stays in 2017.

Contact Info

Šetalište dr. Franje Tuđmana 7, 20207 Mlini
+385 (0)20 486 254
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Information system for check-in and check-out of tourists